Augustine Kofie, American artist from Los Angeles, will present from March 27, 2015 his solo exhibition “OFF/GRID” at the David Bloch Gallery – Marrakech.
The opening will be held in the presence of the artist at the gallery on March 27 at 7:00 pm.
The exhibition will continue until April 26, 2015.
OFF/GRID refers to the tension that animates his work: the juxtaposition, and then synthesis, of opposing forces. This tension operates at a number of levels. In the arena of style, the vintage and the futurist collide. In the arena of formal composition, shapes and lines are built within a strict grid format but then break from this grid, playing off a tilt, shifting off of the established pattern, in an improvisational, freestyle experimentation.
In the arena of medium, a collage technique using industrial packaging and office supply materials from the 1950s to the 1980s is filtered— rendered contemporary—through painting. There is the constructivism of the work, which Kofie approaches like a builder—an architect or engineer—a draftsman, not a painter, making preliminary, two-dimensional sketches of a structure, but one which will never be built. This produces a paradoxical sense of time: the structure simultaneously exists in a future that will never take place, while referring back to a past that has been forgotten.
OFF/GRID refers to this sci-fi temporality, a push and pull between past and future, a tilt off of the grid of time.
OFF/GRID pushes this ongoing exploration further, this time in dialogue with its context. Kofie will be exploring oppositional synthesis by collaborating with craftsmen to produce work that merges established Moroccan artistic traditions with his own brand of American contemporary expression. The title OFF/GRID therefore also refers to the way this body of work is made off the grid of Kofie’s usual cultural milieu.
– Solo Exhibition. Openspace gallery/ Pop up space. Paris, France
– Group Exhibition. REWIRED. Gamma Transport Division. Eidenburgh, Scottland
– ESMoA & The Getty Research Institute Present: SCRATCH. El Segundo, California
– Solo Exhibition. Yesterdays Advance. ARTO Gallery. Mexico D.F.
– 2 Man Show. ASSIOMA: Moneyless & Augustine Kofie. Avantgarden Gallery. Milan, Italy
– Group Show. Exhibit Z. Library Street Collective. Detroit, Michigan
– February 5 -18, 2014. Pow Wow Hawaii. Mural Installation. Honolulu, HI
– LA Art Show. MCLA Booth & Breeze Block Gallery Booth @ Littletopia.
January 15-19th, 2014. Los Angeles Convention Center
– L’Avenir. A Graffuturism Group Show. Shooting Gallery. San Francisco, CA
– 3 man Show. Breeze Block Gallery. Jerry Joker Inscoe, Christopher Derek Bruno, Augustine Kofie. Portland, Oregon
– Group Show. De la ligne à l’abstraction. Yves Laroche Gallery. Montreal, Canada
– Solo Show. Structurally Sound. White Walls Gallery. San Francisco, CA
– Group Show. Out With The Old. Library Street Collective. Detroit, Michigan
– Solo Show. GRAFFUTURISM. California Soul. Galleri Open Space. Paris, France
– Group Show. Breeze Block Gallery. Wider Then A Postcard. Portland, Oregon
– Museum Exhibition. Urban Art Biennale. World Cultural Heritage Site at the Völklingen Ironworks. Völklingen , Germany
– Group Show. Intoxicated Demons Gallery. Strictly Paper. Munich, Germany
– Group Show. White Walls Gallery. 10 Year Anniversary Show. San Francisco, CA
– White Walls @ SCOPE Art Fair. during Miami Art Basel. SCOPE Pavilion
– Art Basel:Miami Group Show. White Walls @ SCOPE Art Fair. during Miami Art Basel. SCOPE Pavilion. Miami, Florida
– 2 Man Show. Conversations: Kofie & Jaybo. Soze Gallery. Los Angeles, CA
– Group Show. Fear No Art 3. Boston, Massachusetts
– 2 Man show. Joybo Monk & Augustine Kofie. Soze Gallery. Downtown los Angeles
– GATHER. 2 man Exhibition & mural project. The Lovell Gallery. Cape Town, South Africa
– Mural installation. Picturin Festival. Torino, Italy
– Group Exhibition. Gamma Proforma Presents: FUTURISM 2.0. Blackall Studios. London, England
– Group Show. Brooklyn Street Art Presents: GEOMETRICKS. Curated by Hellbent. Gellery Brooklyn. Brooklyn, NY
– Group Show. Space // Form. Breeze Block Gallery. Portland, Oregon
– Group Show. DAB & MYLA and FRIENDS EXHIBITION. Thinkspace Gallery. Culver City, CA
– Exhibition, murals and conference. Board Dripper Festival- Reciclado. Queretaro, Mexico
– Mural Installation. Amplify Campus. 1600 Main Street. Venice, California
– Santa Fe Indian Market project. Curated by Jaque Fragua. Santa Fe, New Mexico
– Solo Show. WORKING AN ANGLE. Known Gallery. Los Angeles, CA
– Group Show. Streets Of The World. Opera Gallery. New York, NY
– Group Exhibition/ Auction. Urban Legends. LA Mart Design Center. Los Angeles, CA
– Group Show/ Benefit. Sesame Street. Known Gallery. Los Angeles, CA
– Group Show. Well & Good Present: D i s c o v e r y. Toronto, Ontario Canada
– Group Show. LA Freewalls Inside. LALA Gallery. Los Angeles, CA
– Group Show. White Walls Winter Group Show. White Walls Gallery. San Francisco, CA
– Affordable Art Fair 2012. Showing with Edition One Hundred. Downtown Los Angeles
– Art Basel:Miami Mural Installation. GRAFFUTURISM Mural Installation. Kohn compound Art Basel satellite event. Wynwood District. Miami, Florida
– Art Basel:Miami Mural Installation. MTN Colors Mural Installation. Kohn compound. Art Basel satellite event. Wynwood District. Miami, Florida
– Art Basel:Miami Group Show. White Walls @ SCOPE Art Fair. during Miami Art Basel. SCOPE Pavilion. Booth C27. Miami, Florida
– Solo Show. Cilrulatory System: Recent Works. White Walls Gallery. San Francisco, CA
– Group Show. Rockin 2011. KGB LA Gallery. Los Angeles, CA
– Group Show. Rarely Found: An RF Crew Group Show. Lunch Money. Los Angeles, CA
– Group Show. Rudimentary Perfection. She One, Duncan Jago, Jaybo Monk, Matt W. Moore, Augustine Kofie, Nawer, Morten Andersen, Poesia, Derm, Mark Lyken. Recoat Gallery. Glasgow, Scotland
– Group Exhibition. David Bloch Gallery. Marrakech, Morocco
– Group Exhibition. Pasadena Museum of California Art. Street Cred: Graffiti Art from Concrete to Canvas. Currated by Steve Grody. Pasadena, CA
– 4 Man Exhibition. Unintended Calculations. Remi Rough, Joker, Augustine Kofie & Sueme. Becker Gallery. Vancouver, BC Canada
– 4 Man Exhibition. Linear Empires. White Walls Gallery. San Francisco, California
– Group Exhibition. Edifice Cache. Installation by Mike Russek along with contributing artists. Morono Kiang Gallery. Los Angeles, CA,
– Museum Exhibition. Dreams Deferred: Artists Respond to Immigration. The Chinese American Museum (CAM).
Los Angeles, CA
– Mural Project & Group Exhibitions. Primary Flight. Fresh Produce Curated by Christina Gonzalez. White Walls Pop Up Gallery @ W Hotel. North Miami, Florida
– Group Exhibition. HACER Precents: DUALITY. Saber – Retna – Sheppard Fairy – Tanner – Eyer – Sharktoof. CB GALLERY. Los Angeles, CA
– Group Exhibition. SourceLA Modern Design Exhibition. L.A. Mart® Design Center. Los Angeles, CA
– Group Exhibition. DU MUR A L’ATELIER. Addict Gallery. Paris, France
– Solo Show. White Walls Gallery. Retrofitted: And other forms of Vintage Futurism. San Francisco, California
– Project Room, Berlin, Germany. Live Art for Auction with El Mac. Curated by Jaybo Monk. ProjectRoom
– Live Art During Volta Basel. Curated by The LA Art Machine. Mear – Kofie – Retna. Basel, Switzerland