Augustine Kofie, American artist from Los Angeles, will present from March 27, 2015 his solo exhibition “OFF/GRID” at the David Bloch Gallery – Marrakech.
The opening will be held in the presence of the artist at the gallery on March 27 at 7:00 pm.
The exhibition will continue until April 26, 2015.
OFF/GRID refers to the tension that animates his work: the juxtaposition, and then synthesis, of opposing forces. This tension operates at a number of levels. In the arena of style, the vintage and the futurist collide. In the arena of formal composition, shapes and lines are built within a strict grid format but then break from this grid, playing off a tilt, shifting off of the established pattern, in an improvisational, freestyle experimentation.
In the arena of medium, a collage technique using industrial packaging and office supply materials from the 1950s to the 1980s is filtered— rendered contemporary—through painting. There is the constructivism of the work, which Kofie approaches like a builder—an architect or engineer—a draftsman, not a painter, making preliminary, two-dimensional sketches of a structure, but one which will never be built. This produces a paradoxical sense of time: the structure simultaneously exists in a future that will never take place, while referring back to a past that has been forgotten.
OFF/GRID refers to this sci-fi temporality, a push and pull between past and future, a tilt off of the grid of time.
OFF/GRID pushes this ongoing exploration further, this time in dialogue with its context. Kofie will be exploring oppositional synthesis by collaborating with craftsmen to produce work that merges established Moroccan artistic traditions with his own brand of American contemporary expression. The title OFF/GRID therefore also refers to the way this body of work is made off the grid of Kofie’s usual cultural milieu.
– Solo Exhibition. Openspace gallery/ Pop up space. Paris, France
– Group Exhibition. REWIRED. Gamma Transport Division. Eidenburgh, Scottland
– ESMoA & The Getty Research Institute Present: SCRATCH. El Segundo, California
– Solo Exhibition. Yesterdays Advance. ARTO Gallery. Mexico D.F.
– 2 Man Show. ASSIOMA: Moneyless & Augustine Kofie. Avantgarden Gallery. Milan, Italy
– Group Show. Exhibit Z. Library Street Collective. Detroit, Michigan
– February 5 -18, 2014. Pow Wow Hawaii. Mural Installation. Honolulu, HI
– LA Art Show. MCLA Booth & Breeze Block Gallery Booth @ Littletopia.
January 15-19th, 2014. Los Angeles Convention Center
– L’Avenir. A Graffuturism Group Show. Shooting Gallery. San Francisco, CA
– 3 man Show. Breeze Block Gallery. Jerry Joker Inscoe, Christopher Derek Bruno, Augustine Kofie. Portland, Oregon
– Group Show. De la ligne à l’abstraction. Yves Laroche Gallery. Montreal, Canada
– Solo Show. Structurally Sound. White Walls Gallery. San Francisco, CA
– Group Show. Out With The Old. Library Street Collective. Detroit, Michigan
– Solo Show. GRAFFUTURISM. California Soul. Galleri Open Space. Paris, France
– Group Show. Breeze Block Gallery. Wider Then A Postcard. Portland, Oregon
– Museum Exhibition. Urban Art Biennale. World Cultural Heritage Site at the Völklingen Ironworks. Völklingen , Germany
– Group Show. Intoxicated Demons Gallery. Strictly Paper. Munich